[WikiEN-l] How to do something about AFD

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Mar 11 16:31:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Kurt Maxwell Weber wrote:
> > I just took a look at that list myself.  All the items in it look like they
> > deserve deletion from all except a *very* extreme inclusionist viewpoint.
> How so?

Because nobody's heard of them.  I agree that notability as it is is nonsense,
but any view except the very extreme inclusionist is at least going to allow
for deletion of articles about individual works that nobody's heard of (except
the person creating the article and his friends).

I also find your main argument silly:

   "Like all so-called "policies" on Wikipedia, "Notability" is absolutely
   non-binding. We're expected to exercise our own judgment based on the given
   situation, not defer to a bunch of arbitrary and non-binding "rules" and
   "policies"."

First of all, notability is a guideline, not a policy.  By ragging on policies,
you're overextending the argument.

More importantly, we should follow policies and guidelines most of the time.
If you're not following them, you need a good reason--and a good reason for
that specific case.  You haven't articulated any reason why you think these
particular AFDs are ill-served by notability.  All your reasons are generic
ones merely stating that we shouldn't ever have to care about notability at
all.

(Incidentally, I'll retract my earlier remark a bit.  Jumpstart sounds
like it could be legitimately okay too, since it's likely most Wikipedia
editors wouldn't have heard of it merely because of geography.  Moslanka,
in Russia, may be another one.  There seems to be a common theme here of
something foreign being called non-notable because nobody in America has
heard of it.)