[WikiEN-l] Scary...

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:04:31 UTC 2008

Examine Tony's statement earlier  in the thread:
"I agree 100%  If I can't convince anybody that something belongs in
Wikipedia, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia."
He doesnt say "convince everybody"  Read literally, if any unbiased
editor will support something, it should stay in, just as we don't ban
a user if  any one administrator is willing to unblock him.

More practically, it would require the consent of the community to
remove material. The only other way of reading it, is that it means,
convince everybody--but there wont be any content at all left on
controversial subjects if we do that.  So I suppose he means
consensus. I agree with him that the removal of good-faith material
should require prior consensus.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Charlotte Webb
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/08, Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I agree 100% If I can't convince anybody that something belongs in
>  > Wikipedia, it doesn't belong in Wikipedia.
>
>  Depends on your definition of "anybody" in this context. Hopefully you
>  can recognize the (subtle) ambiguity here, but I can explain it if
>  necessary (and if I can find the words to concisely do so, which might
>  not be so easy).
>
>  —C.W.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.