[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 10:53:26 UTC 2008

True. But say in 50 years from now we probably will have the technology to
observe even the most distant stars, we will have data and great deal of
material. When that happens we will have more articles on stars than on any
other topic combined.

I am not suggesting we create five trillion articles in two days, what I am
saying is we should be ready for five trillion articles that will be
eventually (say in the next 50 years) created and expanded. Whenever a topic
gets an impressive amount of coverage, weather its highways or townships or
TV episodes, people panic and try to mass remove them to keep them more
"manageable". This notion is wrong.

In 5 years wikipedia grew so much, in the next 5 years it will shrink if
this redrectifying madness continues as it is.

I picked astronomy for my example as it is an endless source of articles.
Any other topic is finite.

   - White Cat