[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:26:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, the foundation's tax status would be impacted.

Probably not - nonprofit refers to not having stockholders or owners who
benefit from the business.  It does not mean that we can't be in business in
some sense...  The Red Cross does not offer training materials, classes, and
such for free.  The National Geographic Society runs ads in their "National
Geographic" magazine, and the Smithsonian runs ads in their magazines as
well.  Museums charge admissions and have gift shops, etc, as well as taking
donations.

Our rationale for avoiding ads (conflict of interest with NPOV) doesn't
derive from IRS or other charitable nonprofit organization rules, unless
there's something lurking in the rules I'm not aware of.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com