[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:45:41 UTC 2008

On 10/03/2008, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I note that carrying ads would mean we would be profiting from cases
> of copyright infringement, libel, defamation etc. on our site, which
> might be detrimental to our ability to easily wriggle out of lawsuits.
>
> -Matt

I concur with Matt on this.  Further, there would be a genuine impact on our
NPOV philosophy.  I use Gmail with Google ads for this list. It is often
stunning what ads get pulled up when we are talking about content in a
thread.  There is one thread going on right now where the ads coming up are
all about pseudosciences. Imagine having the evolution article linked to ads
for scientific creationism.  Not a pretty sight.

Risker