[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:04:45 UTC 2008

On 07/03/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>  On my own wiki I link external pictures in by simply using a http  request.
>  Evidently at one time this was a standard part of the work.   Not sure why we
>  don't just do that for the majority of images.

It's OK to do that sometimes, but this is usually called 'leeching'
and many websites will check their access logs and set up their
webserver to refuse requests when people do that. It actually costs
the other websites money to provide that service for your readers.

And if you're really unlucky they'll catch you doing it, and redirect
your access to a completely unsuitable picture...

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.