[WikiEN-l] CAS Discourages Using SciFinder to Help Curate Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:56:17 UTC 2008

> On 08/03/2008, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=997
>  >  They have a specific hate-on for Wikipedia:

> That isn't hate. That is fear. The amount of money in large chemistry
>  databases is significant. Wikipedia doesn't threaten that yet but has
>  the potential to so do.

ACS is a non-profit. This won't help their egregious claim.

Pantone manage the trick of owning a proprietary industry standard and
claiming a monopoly rent on it ... but what's tolerable for commercial
printing is less reasonable when trying to claim a tax on the pursuit
of pure scientific knowledge.

>  The copyright claim is hard to judge. A horrible mixture of database
>  rights and more conventional copyright so yeah any legal commentary is
>  going to need to be seriously informed.

I think we could quite easily say "Hahahahaha fuck off, make my day"
and they know it. But a less nuclear option is worth exploring. To be
nice and stuff.

- d.