[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

quiddity blanketfort at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 06:28:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 06/03/2008, David Gerard  wrote:
>  >  Two million? We've barely started.
>
> Definitely. See the following for just some of the subjects
> "at arms' length":
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_comparisons

See also the latest episode of WikipediaWeekly (partial transcript at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikipediaWeekly/Episode42#Growth_of_Wikipedia
plus a few replies on its talkpage.

The longer I spend at Wikipedia (3 years now, not bad), the more I
grow to favour Inclusionism, Mergism, and Incrementalism.
They seem to be the most optimistic and practical way to continue
dreaming big. (which is why I and everyone I know contributes. big
dreams)

Deletionists are the main cause of harm to both our "community/ies"
and our public image.

"a man's reach should exceed his grasp" or else what are we for?

(As best expressed in the recent piece by Nicholson Baker/wageless:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21131

Quiddity