[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:38:48 UTC 2008

On 07/03/2008, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> The back rooms of museums in general are one of the world's great
>  underutilized resources.  Recently the Royal Ontario Museum managed to
>  find a skeleton of a T-Rex that it forgot it had.  Ideally we should
>  have holographic images of every museum artifact in the world.

Commons does not support whatever Blender stores it's files as which
would be about the only open format for such data I can think of.

Getting access to the vaults of museums is an area where realistically
we need functioning chapters backed with some foundation influence..
Sure technically there are ways a private individual could get into
them but only limited areas and the amount you could so in a session
would be limited.

In any case we haven't finished mining what is on public display yet.
With the even standard digital camera getting better low light
capabilities working through the whole of say the [[Pitt Rivers
Museum]] could be an option if we could put together a large enough
party of wikipedians.

Other attack lines are university collections where we should be able
to find students at the  university to get things moving (universities
may not like students taking an interest but there isn't much they can
do about it).

--
geni