[WikiEN-l] What is happening to the community

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 7 20:04:21 UTC 2008

Wily D wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/7/08, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Definitely. See the following for just some of the subjects "at arms'
>>  >  length": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Size_comparisons
>>  >
>>  >  A selection:
>>  >  *"The Guide Star Catalog II has entries on 998,402,801 distinct
>>  >  astronomical objects searchable online."
>>
>>  Do we want an article on every distant object, no matter how little is
>>  known on it? I doubt it.
>>
> I do.  Are we running out of server space?  To be in a catalogue, some
> minimum of information  has got to be known on an object.
I agree.  With numbers like that if a teenager sets about systematically
adding such objects, and works unhindered by deletionists on only that
for the rest of a long life he will still have barely scratched the
surface of the topic. At 10 articles per person per day it would
probably take 2000 editors with that kind of dedication to get it all.
The practical implication is that only a small fraction of these objects
can be added in the foreseeable future.  We can only hope that priority
will be attached to the most important ones, but if someone feels
inspired to add everything he runs into he should feel free to do so.
If doing so requires him to produce a list of some sort with a lot of
red links it should inspire another user to add more.

Ec