[WikiEN-l] The Economist on "notability"

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:27:13 UTC 2008

On 07/03/2008, Ben Yates <ben.louis.yates at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's instructive to look at the history of Everything2 -- clearly
>  there is *some* lower limit on the notability of concepts that can be
>  included, because if there isn't you eventually get articles called
>  "what is your favorite color" and containing "blue ~~~ green ~~~
>  yellow! ~~~"  On everything2, these were called "getting-to-know-you
>  nodes" and purged relatively early on.

Yes, everything2 mostly or partly uses a voting system for its
notability, and to say that it is not without its problems is a bit of
an understatement. I'm not sure what the precise deletion rate is, but
I found maybe 1/3 of my articles were deleted out of hand. Often I
would resubmit them with relatively minor changes and they would get
good scores.

> --
>  Ben Yates
>  Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com

-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.