[WikiEN-l] How many page views does a given article get?

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:22:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/5/08, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://stats.grok.se/
> >
> >  These are from new logs gathered from the squids. Enter an article and
> see!
>
> Very, very interesting. This tool has the potentially to seriously
> shape discussions about notability and the benefit of retaining
> certain articles. Going through the list of articles I started, I see
> a big range from less than five per day up to several hundred. I think
> my most popular article is [[Female urination device]]. Recently
> deceased people do well. Anything pop culture does well. Roads, parks,
> long forgotten historical figures do badly.
>

> Steve

Not to sound pedantic about it, but "anything" pop culture? Even outdated
pop culture?  The point I make is that  "long-forgotten historical figures"
tend to be something people might actually turn to an encyclopaedia for for
at least the foreseeable future, but pop culture is well, pop. Just a
reminder for everyone that a month's snapshot isn't that helpful.... compare
the 10-12 hits a day for Edward Grey, a relatively  undistinguished Foreign
Secretary of the distant past with, say, the 17 hits a day for "The Great
and Powerful Turtle", a character from an ongoing, if declining, SF
series....

RR