[WikiEN-l] Why are images deleted in such a hurry?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 23:14:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:40 PM, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
>  >  I personally don't think this extreme reading of
>  >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NFCC#10c is such a great idea,
>  >  but it's been around for a while now.
>
>  Likewise.  That page doesn't even make a link compulsory; all that's
>  compulsory is the name of the article.
>
>  Even that requirement is relatively new.
>
>   Many older rationales don't necessarily name the article.  On ones i
>  did, for instance, I may have put 'Fair use in an article on the
>  subject is claimed based on ...'
>
>  In this case, the image was uploaded when many believed that the
>  {{Promotional}} template was sufficient rationale for an promotional
>  image of something in an article about that something.
>
>  The requirement to link is really to do with refusing to accept
>  rationales that are templated or boilerplate.
>
>  -Matt

Which we should refuse, since the whole purpose of a rationale is to
address why a specific use of a specific image in a specific article
is justifiable. We should never accept nonfree images by category,
only by individual case. It is unfortunate that in some cases we do de
facto have categoric acceptance (CD covers, logos, etc.), but that
will change in time, and requiring individualized rationales will help
with that.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.