[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

Ron Ritzman ritzman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 02:29:50 UTC 2008

On 3/3/08, Betacommand <Betacommand at gmail.com> wrote:

>    9. one of the key parts to the EDP is ensuring that the image in
>    question cannot be replaced with a  free image.
>    10. it only takes one greedy lawyer to shut down the Wikimedia
>    Foundation, lawyers are not required to send a takedown notice. they can
>    just sue you for everything you have.
>    11. if a user wants to use non-free content they need to be able to
>    say why they need that image on that page. if they dont have  good >reason
>    then that image should be deleted.

However, if a fair use image is used in [[article A]] with a valid
rationale and in [[Article B]] without one, then the image should be
removed from [[article B]], not tagged for deletion. The
responsibility for providing a rationale for [[Article B]] should lie
with the editors of [[Article B]] more so then the original uploader
or the editors of [[Article A]].

IMHO, fair use images should not be autotagged for deletion if they
contain a valid rationale for one of the articles they are used in.
Their use in additional articles should be reviewed by a "human" and
either removed from such articles or a valid rationale added.

>    12. just because a person stops editing that doesnt mean that our
>    policies stop applying to their edits.

But the original uploader is not always the best user to notify.
Perhaps BCB could notify the original uploader, the 3 editors with the
most recent edits in the article in question, as well as leave a note
on the article's talk page.