[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 20:50:01 UTC 2008

On 02/03/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> geniice at gmail.com writes:

>>  If an  image can be replaced then it can be replaced. We can get by
>>  without an  image untill a free one becomes available.>>

>  Yes we know that your argument is to constantly beat the free drum.
>  That just isn't our policy.

Actually, constantly beating the free drum is *precisely* Foundation
policy, and WP:NONFREE follows accordingly.

> We do allow fair use images, and that  isn't
> going to stop based on this discussion.

Nor will it be expanded because of it. This list isn't where it'll be decided.

> Perhaps you can address the discord between our fair-use policy and your
> position?

Fair-use images are a subclass of non-free images, which are suffered
only per [[WP:NONFREE]] for very restricted uses; I haven't seen
anything Geni's written on this list that contradicts anything
therein.

- d.