[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 2 08:22:37 UTC 2008

geni wrote:
> On 02/03/2008, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I am one of those people who does not understand this.
>>
>>  If I had an article on WP and I uploaded an image of me and put it on
>>  my article claiming fair use, what is the problem? First, I am not going
>>  to sue.
>>
> You get knocked down and killed by a bus tomorrow. Will whoever inherits sue?
There's more to that question than meets the eye.  Do you even know who
will inherit?  Unless someone is already established as a writer (or
photographer, etrc.) the chances are that there is no mention of
copyrights in your will, if you have a will at all.  If you have a
number of kids, especially ones that tend to fight together each has an
equal right to free the material without consulting the others.

If you're still young and childless the rights will likely pass on to
your parents,  the same parents who for years have been telling you to
get away from that computer and start doing something useful.  Suddenly
they inherit the copyrights to something they always thought was
worthless, and other than for the nostalgia, they still think its
worthless.  Assume that they are suddenly asked for permissions when
they were never readers themselves in the first place, and the notion of
copyright is completely alien to their sense of reality.

Tell your parents that they will inherit your copyrights, and they will
be ROTFL for sure.

It all gets a little strange.

Ec