[WikiEN-l] More fair use image overreaching

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 01:16:59 UTC 2008

On 02/03/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>  In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:56:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> geniice at gmail.com writes:

>>  Certainly but just not under any fair use criteria. If you want to  put
>>  your own work on wikipedia you release it under a free  license.>>

>  We've been through this already.
>  There are more ways than free.
>  Regardless, are you suggesting that an author cannot create any fair-use of
>  their own work?
>  Seems like you are.
>  Wouldn't it seem much more reasonable in this *particular* case for someone
>  to merely correct it since it's obvious that the author themselves is trying
>  to  add the image to their own article?

You appear to be attempting to re-argue WP:NONFREE here again.

No, the author can't put up something on Wikipedia as fair-use or
Wikipedia-permission-only, any more than a third party can.

In addition, when something is marked as being under a free licence,
it's important to make damn sure (a) the author meant that (b) it's
really theirs to release. I say this from dealing with a lot of
aggrieved uploaders where it turned out neither was the case at all.

- d.