[WikiEN-l] Dealing with photoshopped images?

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 30 16:44:48 UTC 2008

Silas Snider wrote:
> Interestingly, after viewing the original image, it actually looks as
> though the baby image is taped onto the monitor using what looks to be
> a strip of tape (the fuzzy line) (which would explain the image
> extending past the monitor)

The fuzzy line looks like it's just a partly transparent band of static
overlaid on the image, presumably to simulate scan lines as Chris
mentioned. If it was tape it would appear to be rather poorly
positioned; only a tiny bit of it extends beyond the image, hardly
enough to actually support it, and it would make the fakery extremely
obvious. Whereas by adding scanlines I guess the image's editor was
trying to make the image less "perfect", and therefore more plausible.

Do LCD monitors actually have that effect, though? I just snapped a
photo of my monitor and there was no trace of scanline, since the image
isn't produced by a scanning electron beam I wouldn't ordinarily expect
something like that either.

And of course, the monitor image doesn't line up with the edges of the
monitor, the static doesn't line up with the edges of the monitor image,
and the text in the monitor image is clearer and sharper than the text
on the stickers on the monitor's edge. Looks really bad.