[WikiEN-l] Another rule literalism problem

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Wed Jun 25 14:34:01 UTC 2008

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> The English licensor made a mistake in the translation, calling it
> "Tetsusaiga".
> One person insists that because that is the official English translation,
> the article *must* be called by the incorrect name...

I was about to say, "Clearly, the article should be named
'Tessaiga', with a redirect from 'Tetsusaiga'.".  But I see the
situation is currently the opposite.

One of my fantasies for Wiki software is a way for one article
to have two or more names, with absolutely no distinction as to
which is the "primary" or "secondary" name, precisely so as to
be able to utterly defuse situations like this...

(Yeah, I know, it still wouldn't work; a sufficiently
obstreperous editor could edit war to get an allegedly-unofficial
duplicate name removed.  But it's a pleasant thought...)