[WikiEN-l] ArbCom Legislation

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 22 11:20:36 UTC 2008

Todd Allen wrote:
> I noticed an interesting juxtaposition above. Star Wars Kid, and the
> glaring lack of the real name, was brought up. Charles stated above
> that NPOV is not negotiable. I would hope, then, that he is entirely
> for including the name in this article. The absolute overwhelming
> majority of reliable sources reporting on the Star Wars Kid incident
> used his real name. By failing to follow that lead, we are pushing a
> POV, that POV being "They were wrong to publish that." Pushing a POV
> by silence or removal is no more acceptable than pushing it by what we
> do write.

Well, I wonder about that (I know nothing about the specific matter,
which is a long war from anything I edit on).  An omission is "pushing a
POV", and about other media?  There is a tremendous amount of
constructive interpretation behind that.  As well as some debatable
grammar.  Editors "push a POV", articles "fail to be neutral" (third
person singular, not first person plural).

Charles