[WikiEN-l] Image contribution embarassment

Simetrical Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 16:05:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> If I read correctly, Commons was excluded from the effect of the change
> (or at least the comments in the vote on Meta seemed to indicate that).
> If so, since most new free-licensed images (as opposed to fair-use ones)
> should go to Commons anyway, could we just change the instructions for
> new-user uploads to point them to the Commons account-creation and
> upload pages?

Better yet, wait a couple of months and they can sign up on Wikipedia
and get an account on Commons automatically, when unification is
automatic at account creation.  Assuming that freely-licensed images
should always be uploaded to Commons anyway, which isn't a terrible
assumption, this restriction only reduces people's ability to upload
fair-use images (and, of course, copyvios).  The instructions just
need to be updated, it seems to me.