[WikiEN-l] Article specific blocks

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 23:15:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I don't see a problem with the current system really. The remedy for
> someone violating a topic ban is to just ban them entirely, which is a
> good way of separating out the good-faith editors who are simply
> problematic in certain areas (but will respect a topic-ban) from those
> whose good faith we cannot rely upon, who should just be banned entirely.

+1

If you can't obey a topic ban then you really have no business being
on the site at all.

Furthermore,  a technical measure would just encourage lawyering:  "Of
course I can edit the  they section on X in Y,  I'm only banned from
articles in Category:X" or "I'm only banned from X not list of X in
popular culture!" "I didn't edit the ...article... I merely edited a
template it includes..." ...

It might also be worth nothing that software features for similar
behavior (upload blocking) have previously been rejected based on the
same "if they can't behave, ban them!" logic.