[WikiEN-l] Britannica attempts to become Wikipedia

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 10:44:07 UTC 2008

Kwan Ting Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 14:51 -0400, Chris Howie wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>>> we have tons of articles that literally haven't been
>>> updated since 1849 (not to mention 1911).
>> Wow, I didn't know Wikipedia was *that* old!
>
> Wikipedia isn't, but articles originated from the 11th edition of
> Encyclopedia Britannica may well not have been updated since 1911. ;-)
>
> KTC

I thought most of 1911 content had been scraped by now...

A thought... there are numerous people who love "peeping" in (really)
old encyclopedias, if only to "get the feeling" of what was common
knowledge or beliefs at that time. I wonder if for our 10th
annniversary, or for 2010, we could not isolate part of Wikipedia
content to get a sort of official shot of knowledge in year 2010 and
preserve this version nicely for the future. We might scrap really minor
articles, or stubs, but keep the rest of it. The idea not being "dump of
2010" but more a sort of historical tool, to be really cool to dig in by
2020 or 2030 (or later).

Ant