[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 2 15:53:53 UTC 2008

Angus wrote:
> Hallelujah! Notability is a set of crufty guideline and no more. "When
> you wonder what should or should not be in [wikipedia], ask yourself
> what a reader would expect to find under the same heading in an
> *encyclopedia*."
>
> Now I haven't seen a print Britannica in years, but as I remember it
> there were one (or more) gazetteer volumes, page after page of places
> with coordinates...  I'd expect a non-paper encyclopedia to
> have a bloody huge list of places, inhabited or otherwise possibly of
> use to readers.

Just so.  We should remember that "notability", and our
attempts to objectify it via reference to second-party
reliable sources, are only means to an end.  The end goal is:
utility to our readers.  Get hung up on notability if you like,
but the encyclopedic inclusivity criterion I like to use is,
"Might someone ever look this up and expect/want/need to find
this information?