[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jun 1 21:16:21 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> The question that springs to mind is: what else can we get complete
> data on for bot-assisted article creation? Every state-level or higher
> politician in every country ever? What else?

 From various data sources, mostly high quality, we could probably put
together over a million new bot-generated articles on living species.
However the current most common approach is to add them manually,
attempting to flesh out the articles at least minimally as they're being
added. This lets redlinks partly be used as a TODO list, instead of
having to maintain a separate list of "articles that were added by a bot
but still need to be expanded by real people". That could be done with a
hidden category, though.

Starting with just a few special-purposes data sources, FishBase
includes 30,000 or so species of fish; the Blattodea database includes
4,560 cockroaches; Antbase includes 10k+ ants; Avibase includes 10k
species and 22k subspecies; etc.

It's not clear to me that importing of that sort would be an improvement
over our current process, though. We're adding new species coverage at a
fairly significant rate as it is, and the current loose arrangements are
somewhat manageable.

It's even less clear to me that automatically adding articles on
politicians would be useful, unless you can get at least *some* minimal
data on what they did, as opposed to just a listing of
office/birth/death. The latter could be useful in creating a list
article, like [[List of Governors of SomeState]], but it wouldn't be
particularly useful in creating articles on the individual people.

-Mark