[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 21:05:24 UTC 2008

2008/6/1 Delirium <delirium at hackish.org>:

> This seems to be presented differently depending on which proposal you
> read. I'm finding stuff on the wiki about two million articles, which is
> virtually impossible if there is actually "considerable human review and
> involvement of the country WikiProjects" (especially since we don't even
> have WikiProjects on some countries).

What some people on the Village Pump are going nonlinear about has
little to no relation to any actual plans.

> This particular proposal also seems to be heavily relying on a few
> global placename databases that: 1) have very minimal data (often just
> coordinates); and 2) have lots of errors, or at best ambiguity. Someone
> already found a village in Nigeria that likely doesn't even exist [1].
> I would be much more comfortable with this being done on a
> country-by-country basis, with country-specific data sources that are
> both more complete and more reliable. In fact this is already being
> done---besides RamBot, there have been other country-specific projects
> to, for example, add articles on all the [[en:woreda]]s of Ethiopia,
> villages in Afghanistan, and so on. These sorts of projects go on all
> the time, rarely encounter much opposition, and produce higher-quality
> results. The attempt to uniformly treat the entire world en masse, based
> on questionable global data sources, is what's a bit more controversial.

The most sensible actual discussion I can find is on [[User
talk:Fritzpoll]]. Fritzpoll appears to be proceeding with all due
caution, and at this stage will be preparing only lists of possible
articles for creation, not actually creating them.

- d.