[WikiEN-l] User:FritzpollBot creating millions of new articles

bobolozo bobolozo at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 08:36:44 UTC 2008

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28proposals%29#User:FritzpollBot_creating_millions_of_new_articles

A bot has been approved to create articles on every
place in the world which doesn't have an article yet,
predicted to be about 2 million new stub articles.

There is some question as to whether or not this is a
good idea, as it would double our number of articles
within a few months, perhaps mess up Special:Random,
and most of the new articles would forever be tiny
stubs.  There are suggestions that perhaps the bot
could be limited to towns of a certain population
size, or perhaps the tiny villages could be combined
into lists instead of each having its own article.

I'm not arguing for or against this, just bringing it
up here.  If there are any concerns, speak now before
the bot begins.