[WikiEN-l] Trivial hatnotes or two-article disambiguations

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:35:04 UTC 2008

2008/7/31 Zahd <owl at spaz.org>:

> David thinks this is some kind of specious subjectivity - that noone can
> state whether articles are more or less trivial than others - and in any
> case two-article disambiguations are just wrong. I hope others here feel
> differently.

You may like to know that this was discussed almost two years ago:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-September/053224.html
(and subsequent messages)

The two cases where I've deliberately created a "redundant
disambiguation" like this (ie, only two entries) were for [[Squirrel]]
and [[Beirut]] - in both cases, the main goal was to get rid of a
rather silly hatnote.

([[Squirrel]] originally had a hatnote talking about Scientology
jargon; [[Beirut]] asked you if you were meaning to read about 'beer
pong', whatever that is... I mean, really.)

In both cases, mind you, I justified it against this sort of objection
by then going and scrounging up some other possible uses of the word
to put on the disambig page, so there was three or four entries.

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk