[WikiEN-l] Knol goes live

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Jul 25 16:02:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:
> Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>>> Cutting and pasting wikipedia content without following the terms of
>>> the GFDL is rather problematical.
>>>
>> At least he preserved the section entitled History...
>> http://knol.google.com/k/sheldon-rampton/-/8r9tdjdcsltq/2#H0-History
>
> I created my article with an "All rights reserved" license. Knol gives
> me two other Creative Commons optiions. Not being an expert on the
> Talmudic details of GFDL, I don't know whether any of these options is
> consistent with its terms.

Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reusing_Wikipedia_content
explains a bit, but only the text of the GFDL itself is official.

Personally I made a similar experiment, and I just added a History
section, and placed a copyright and license notice.  See
http://knol.google.com/k/anthony-dipierro/gnupedia/1m4q8jxsfv85t/5#  I
think this meets with the spirit of the GFDL, if not the text of it.

Of course, your article already has a section entitled history, so
according to the GFDL you have to preserve that section and "add to it
an item stating at least the title, year, new authors, and publisher
of the Modified Version as given on the Title Page".  I was being kind
of sarcastic about that particular GFDL requirement, and how it gets
applied to certain Wikipedia articles.

The fact of the matter is that Wikipedia articles themselves so follow
the GFDL, so it's hard to fork off an article which does follow it.
And sometimes, it produces strange results.

Anthony