[WikiEN-l] No-indexing of project-space pages

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:05:40 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
> This is all very interesting.
>
> I wonder if I am reading this correctly.
>
> Do I understand correctly that those who do not just
> download our non-mainspace (you know the real wikipedia
> stuff of articles like of an encyclopaedic value), do it with
> full knowledge that isn't really encyclopaedic matter, but
> download it anyway?

Probably. Wikipedia mirrors have various approaches. The bulk content
to hang ads around approach would consider non project namespace stuff
to be worth having. Others looking to run encyclopedic mirrors less
so. Still others take selected pages to pad existing content. Then
there are various sites that use wikipedia to feed Markov chain
generators or as blog posts.

--
geni