[WikiEN-l] RFA idea...

Jonathan Hughes lifebaka at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:12:42 UTC 2008

> From: Jon <scream at datascreamer.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] RFA idea...
>
> Colleagues,
>

> As some of you already know, I've undergone an RFA recently.  Thats ok.
>   No matter the result, I try to vote on some RFA's whenever I ask for
> the community do discuss me.
>
> On the same token, I try to vote on some AFDs (or close some) whenever I
> submit an AFD.
>
> As I read some of the RFAs ongoing, I discovered a trend.  So I looked
> into the recent historical RFA votes. (Lets not get to wrapped around
> vote=!vote, for simplicity of this proposal/idea, I'll call all
> comments, discussions... votes)
>
> I have discovered what appears to be a trend in clique mentality and
> power centralization.  Also, I have discovered some crazy oppositions,
> for example "I view self noms a prima facia evidence of power hunger."
> This is among the craziest I've seen.  Not that the editor is crazy, but
> the oppose is.
>

> Here is my suggested solution:
>
> Allow editors (those who have not already undergone RFA, desysopped
> under a cloud, and desysopped by Arbitration) to sysop after 2500 edits
> and 6 months on the project without any recent behavior related blocks.
>   Permit the crats or admins to grant and take away adminship.  If this
> idea has some support on the mailing list (with any suggested
> alterations) I think I might put up a policy page as I have done on
> IPBLOCKEXEMPT for discussion.
>
> The advantages of such a system would eliminate power centralization,
> clique mentality, and some of these outrageous opposes.
>
> Everyone here is an academic.  We are building en encyclopedia.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> - --
> Best,
> Jon
>
> [User:NonvocalScream]

I'm not sure it'd work.  Not everyone who has [number]+ edits and has been
around for [time]+ months/years would make a good admin.  The current RFA
process, besides some wonky-ness on the part of the !voters, should be able
deal with this fairly well.  Besides that, not every user wants to be an
admin.

I still think the idea is worth putting up on [[WP:VPP]], though, or on
[[WT:RFA]].  While I kinda' doubt it'd go through, some constructive things
might come out of the discussion (on the other hand, something constructive
might come out of this as well, so whatever you like).

There was a suggestion in one of the RFA review responses that suggested a
!vote limit in RFAs to reduce the cliche problem (hell if I can remember
which one, though), which should solve the problem as well.  Thought I'd
throw that out there.

[[User:Lifebaka]]