[WikiEN-l] Purpose of this mailing list.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 18:22:00 UTC 2008

2008/7/26 Jon <scream at datascreamer.com>:

> Some have stated to me on the list (Majorly) and on IRC (Others) that I
> should not be using the mailing list to float ideas.
> May I have one of the list mods define the purpose and mission of this
> list please?

Per the listinfo, "This mailing list is for discussing issues relating
particularly to the English language Wikipedia." It doesn't have any
actual power, it's not part of a dispute resolution process, it's
(ideally, IMO) for encyclopedists to talk about encyclopedic issues in
a fruitful and interesting manner.

"To float ideas" is as good a restatement as any, I'd think.

(If your idea sinks, of course, spending 1000 messages splashing about
trying to pull it back up may try the patience of other readers.)

- d.