[WikiEN-l] Knol product manager suggests it as a source for Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 17:27:15 UTC 2008

In a message dated 7/25/2008 10:23:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm writes:

WP:V is  very clear that peer-reviewed sources by professioanl
publishers are our  preferred sources in the areas where they exist.
It is also clear that  self-published material, even from experts, should
be taken with a grain  of salt.  I'll include some quotes below.  >>

-------------
Your quotes are misread.  Peer-reviewed articles where they exist are  more
reliable.
They are not the standard however.  For example in biography the  number of
"peer-review" articles is vanishingly small.  In Physics it is  overwhelming.
Quite different animals.

You are wrong to lump "self-published material" with "even from  experts".
That isn't what the policy states, nor what we hashed out over  and over years
ago on this very point.  We made a clear distinction between  self-published
material from non-experts, and self-published material from  experts.  You
argument seems to blur that distinction that we carefully  tried to draw.

Will Johnson

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.