[WikiEN-l] Knol product manager suggests it as a source for Wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 25 11:00:54 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-212067.html
>
> Which makes some sense - a signed article by an expert in a field is a
> good source, and Knol is a handy place for it.
>
> So, Knol ~= about.com.

"Knol is a hybrid of the individual, often opinionated entries found in
blogs and the collective editing relied on by Wikipedia and other wiki
sites."

A hybrid in which the wiki accounts for, oh, 0%.  Isn't it the Encarta
model where outsiders can suggest updates?  Isn't it the old paper model
where hypertext is reduced to the occasional (q.v.)?

I don't doubt people will look up medical info there.  As long as it's
updated.

Charles