[WikiEN-l] Knol goes live

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 05:20:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Sheldon Rampton <sheldon at prwatch.org> wrote:
> A blogger at the LA Times wonders when the "gold rush" will start for
> people to claim ownership of articles on Knol:
>
> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/webscout/2008/07/knol-has-nothin.html
>
> In particular, he pointed out that Knol does not currently have an
> article about Wikipedia, so I decided to do my part and create one:
>
> http://knol.google.com/k/sheldon-rampton/-/8r9tdjdcsltq/2#
>
> I basically cut-and-pasted the existing Wikipedia article, although I
> did make one minor correction. The current version fails to credit me
> as Wikipedia's creator. It mentions some guy named Jimmy Wales
> instead. Anyway, I fixed it in my Knol version. ;-)

The inline references link to the references in Wikipedia instead of
the references at the bottom of the Google Knol.  I've updated the
page, which looks like it sends you my changes for moderation.  Do you
get a diff ?? :-)  I tried to fix "[5]" to point to the reference at
the bottom.  The link editor doesnt like internal links (e.g.
"#note-4") so I had to use a fully qualified URL.  I've no idea what
changes I actually made, or if they are going work - there is no show
changes button.  We are back to editing HTML??  cripes.

--
John