[WikiEN-l] SlimVirgin and CheckUser leaks

Al Tally majorly.wiki at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:34:50 UTC 2008

2008/7/21 SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com>:

> The lack of trust in certain checkusers is the main problem here. When
> Kelly Martin was given checkuser, I guessed that she would eventually
> use it on me, because she doesn't like me, and she appeared not to
> care about the rules.

At the time, Kelly was a pretty well trusted member of the community. I know
for sure there are some checkusers who don't like me, but I don't think
they'd use checkuser on me. Why the paranoia?

> And sure enough, she did. When Alison and Lar
> were given it and started posting regularly to Wikipedia Review, I
> guessed that one or both would checkuser me at some point, and sure
> enough, one of them did.

How is whether they contribute to that site relevant here?

> It would be good if ArbCom or the Ombudsman commission would see to it
> that admins do not use checkuser for no reason against people they
> don't like.

Sarah, there's always a reason to be checking someone. Checkusers do not
check people for the fun of it.

> It would be good if you would ensure that people who are
> regular posters to Wikipedia Review refrain from using the tool
> against editors who are attacked, cyberstalked, and defamed there.

Not possible. I'm sure checkusers can remain impartial when checking
someone. Alison and Lar have not engaged in any "bad" activity on Wikipedia
Review anyhow. Whether they checked you on Wikipedia doesn't affect
Wikipedia Review.

> The point, Charles, which seems to escape you, is that people on the
> Ombudsman commission are meant to be neutral and disinterested, so
> that editors trust them. If you care about that lack of trust, I hope
> you'll give your place to someone else.

I actually agree with this. If there is any sign of the slightest bit of
bias in a situation, an Ombudsman should recuse from acting. The same should
go for Checkusers, but I don't feel so strongly about that.

--
Al Tally
(User:Majorly)