[WikiEN-l] SlimVirgin and CheckUser leaks

Charles Fulton mackensen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:32:28 UTC 2008

Oh good, we're on to Kelly Martin. I think that about concludes the
usefulness of this thread.

For onlookers, there's a good deal not being said here because,
contrary to Slim's insinuations, I actually do give a damn about
people's privacy, and their reputations.

Now, you'll have to direct me to this ANI thread, because I don't
recall if specifically. I've been referring directly to a private
conversation which I had with Lar dated March 11. At no time did Lar
mention his wife. I should note that Lar specifically denies the
allegation you've made, and claims to have private correspondence to
prove it. If you gained the impression from ANI that the Commission
had officially looked into the matter then I regret that you gained
that impression. We've not, as you've never lodged a formal complaint
of any kind. In the course of your unofficial complaint to
checkuser-l, of course, two of the three commissioners developed
fairly vocal views on the question so frankly if you ever do lodge a
complaint it'll come down to Hei ber's say so.

Look, we can go round and round on this. If I was half the
unscrupulous hack you've implied I would have published my private
correspondence to this thread, but my personal vindication doesn't
matter as much (yet) as the trust placed in me by various parties to
not disclose certain things without their consent.

Your position, if I understand it correctly (and I have no doubt that
I'll be told that I do not), is that I am obligated to tell you when a
checkuser whom you do not trust performs a checkuser on your account
(or, rather, related accounts). This doesn't scan. At all. Not the
least because I trust Lar and Alison and consider them honorable,
trustworthy people, and I've been shown no cause to believe otherwise.
As an Ombudsman it would be perverse for me to start disclosing random
bits of the CU log without good cause and outside my official duties.

I concur, of course, that an Ombudsman should be neutral, but that
doesn't require me to stay silent as what's left of my name is dragged
through the mud. I'll remind you, for the umpteenth time, that all the
people you're acting are open about their real identities.

Best,

Charles