[WikiEN-l] Price we pay from the Deletionists: Y-Combinator looking to fund Wikipedia-like startup

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 10:16:05 UTC 2008

2008/7/20 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/20 Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com>:
>> Although there are plenty of people turned-off and turned-away by the
>> deletion of factually correct, verifiable and referenced articles.
>> There is nothing quite as disheartnening as working on an article,
>> only for a faceless gang of self-appointed AfDers to come along and
>> decide that this article falls below an arbitrary threshold for
>> inclusion in Wikipedia. My Wikipedia experience has been significantly
>> soured by such arbitrary deletions and my efforts toward Wikipedia
>> have fallen off recently as a result.
>
> Getting a properly reffed article deleted is quite a trick.
>

>> If I knew that my work could survive at least in some form (a
>> publicly-viewable deletion namespace with libel and slander removed,
>> e.g.), perhaps I would allow myself to get more excited about working
>> on Wikipedia again.
>
> If you wrote it yourself there are no shortage of free webhosts on
> which it can survive.

The point isn't about a particular article ("my work" was a wrong
expression to use here): it is to do with the efforts I put into
editing Wikipedia and whether it is worth it. I've had problems with
referenced, factually-accurate and verifiable articles that I have
worked on being deleted due to questions to notability. It is also
disheartening to go to AfD and see articles which are referenced,
factually-accurate and verifiable being deleted due to notability.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)