[WikiEN-l] Okay, so what do I *do* about Tessaiga?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Fri Jul 18 20:12:36 UTC 2008

Wikipedia has an article whose name is a mistake, but people claim that the
article must be named that anyway because our rules say that we must use the
most widely used English name, and the mistake is used more frequently
than the correct name.  (This happened because the mistake was made by a big
English-language publisher, so a lot of people picked it up.)

The rule in question is rule 8 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_(Japan-related_articles)#Body_text

If you look at it, it seems meant for cases where the English name is a
loanword or was written in a strange way on purpose, not for mistakes.  I
think it's ludicrous to interpret it to mean that if a mistake is used 51%
of the time, Wikipedia must perpetuate it.

This has been spearheaded by a single user, who has pushed for the name
since 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:InuYasha#Naming_Conventions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tetsusaiga#Tetsusaiga_vs._Tessaiga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style_for_Japan-related_articles/tessaiga (2004)

Is there anything whatsoever I can do about this?