[WikiEN-l] References in templates

Finn Aarup Nielsen fn at imm.dtu.dk
Mon Jul 7 15:58:05 UTC 2008

(I hope wikien-l is appropriate for this technical question?)

I have been experimenting with having references in templates. I was a bit
optimistic and tried this variation in a template:

Where "refname" would be defined on the page with the template embedded,
e.g., as <ref name="Lesch">{{Cite journal | title=Something }}</ref>

This way didn't seem to work. I wonder if there is any other
possibilities. One way would be to use nested templates, e.g.,

{{MyTemplate | field=value | reference = <ref name="Lesch">{{Cite journal
| title=Something }}</ref> }}

However, I would like to avoid nested templates for clarity. Another way
would be just to identify the reference with an external key - the PubMed
identifier, e.g.,

{{MyTemplate | field=value | pmid = 8929413 }}

Any other ideas? Or comments?

/Finn (User:fnielsen)

          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/