[WikiEN-l] "How to promote your company in Wikipedia" - pretty clueful blog post

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:15:11 UTC 2008

2008/7/1 Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>:

> I find it leaves out the truism that if people that own or work for
> the company have to create the article themselves, it's very unlikely
> to be truly notable. (Irrespective of whatever the policy says today).
>
> There's a lot to be said for organic growth and shamefacedly poking
> you or your company in the wikipedia is in no way organic.

Oh, I don't know, "organic" traditionally involves shovelling a lot of crap...

*ahem*

More seriously, they're going to do it anyway, whether we tell them to
or not. We may as well encourage people to tell them how to do it
effectively and without causing trouble or producing actively bad
material.

(This sounds impressively like the celibacy-sex-education debate,
doesn't it! We don't want them to, but they're going to, so let's make
sure they do it safely...)

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk