[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 54, Issue 128

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:25:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 10:27 AM, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/01/2008, LaraLove <laralove at bathrobecabal.org> wrote:
> > What I'm upset about is your shameful behavior and the
> > fact that the moderators of this list ignored it.
>
> I didn't ignore it; I simply agreed with what he said. The thought
> that crossed my mind was that it was "pretty stupid" to be uploading
> images of one's children to a wildly popular public web site. I just
> chose not to voice my thoughts, because I didn't think it was entirely
> appropriate to criticise the parenting skills of someone I don't know.
> But evidently you are keen to make a big deal about it and draw
> attention to the slight on your character, so I guess it's alright for
> me to be honest.
>
> With the high profile cases where administrators have been stalked in
> real life as a result of personally identifiable information they post
> on the wiki, I feel it's mad for people to post their real names, let
> alone photos of themselves, names of loved ones or photos of loved
> ones. Sure, if you stay out of trouble on the wiki the chances of such
> a thing happening is pretty slight, but there's plenty of nutcases out
> there to go around.
>
> In that light, I think it's wrong to call your posting of pictures of
> your children as "grossly inappropriate", but I still feel it is a bit
> reckless.
>
> ~Mark Ryan
> (one of the WikiEN-l moderators)

The moderators are not a collective group, by the way; as a moderator,
I ignored that aside because we tend to be rather lenient about
comments on the mailing list (we're not Wikipedia; we have no real
policies on assuming bad faith or personal attacks, and banned users
are free to spew their tripe here, provided it's not outrageous enough
to qualify them for moderation) unless they form a continuing pattern
of disruptive behaviour. I disagree with the notion that we should
give in to nutcases this much, but I saw no reason to jump on a
probably poorly-worded aside without a history of disruptive or
abusive behaviour.

Johnleemk