[WikiEN-l] Original research will always plague us

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:58:16 UTC 2008

The Oxford English Dictionary has the same problem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/magazine/05cyber.html

"So anyone can be an O.E.D. author now. And, by the way, many try.
"What people love to do is send us words they've invented," Bernadette
Paton says, guiding me through a windowless room used for storage of
old word slips. Will you put the word I have invented into one of your
dictionaries? is a question in the AskOxford.com FAQ. All the
submissions go into the files, and until there is evidence for some
general usage, that's where the wannabes remain.

"Don't bother sending in FAQ. Don't bother sending in wannabes.
They're not even particularly new. For that matter, don't bother
sending in anything you find via Google. "Please note," the O.E.D.'s
Web site warns solemnly, "it is generally safe to assume that examples
found by searching the Web, using search engines such as Google, will
have already been considered by O.E.D. editors." "

- d.