[WikiEN-l] Image of the day

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 28 00:51:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:31:57PM -0700, Bryan Derksen wrote:
> But we don't need fair use at all in this situation. The copyright holder
> has explicitly licensed Wikipedia to use this image. It's just the fact
> that they didn't license anyone else to use it that stops it from being
> used on Wikipedia. This is because Wikipedia's mandate is to produce an
> encyclopedia that anyone else can redistribute if they want.
>
> Meta, on the other hand, has no such mandate.

Meta hosts the "Foundation issues" page, which claims that "copyleft
licensing of content" is "essentially beyond debate". The foundation
resolution on nonfree content explicitly lists meta as a "project".
The natural conclusion is that meta has the same mandate towards free
content as all other wikimedia projects. It would be quite strange if
the central coordinating wiki for free-content projects would lack their
committment to free content.

Personally, I find it strange to think that any nonfree content not
under the control of the foundation should appear on meta.

 - Carl