[WikiEN-l] Gated Communities - Notable or not?

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:02:28 UTC 2008

Articles are intellectual units as well as physical one. They are not fixed
length pages  that we have to fill. There are only two limitations: one is
technical--for the next few years at least very long articles are not usable
by a considerable fraction of our readers. The other is organizational--we
do not really know how to write and organize long articles for readability,
besides or extremely crude tables of contents.
There is no limitation in the other direction, no inherent reason why a
short item cannot be an article just the same as long one can.  There is no
reason why subjects about which only a little can be written can not have
separate articles if they are distinct; we can list groups of articles as
easily as we can sections of a single article. There is no reason at all why
we can not have one line articles.
Nor is there a reason we should have articles about everything that is
possible to write about from reliable sources. In fact, that's been rejected
by NOT NEWS. We deliberately decided that there were certain kinds of
articles we did not want to write about in WP, even though we could. anyone
who really thinks that all that is needed for notability should want to
reject that policy.

There is only one practical consideration about what ought to be an article:
Google does not presently index redirects. Therefore, only those items which
are actual articles will come of the top of Google searches. We ought not to
be dependent on Google this way, but in practice we are--it's how people
find our articles. it's how people know about us. I'm not sure we would have
been much of a success without them.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.