[WikiEN-l] [Commons-l] Musing with professional photographers: further lessons learned

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:00:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 10:40 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I just got yet another phone call from someone who wanted to reuse
> an image from Wikipedia but didn't realise you clicked on the picture
> to get to the image page.

Yep. These come into OTRS all the time too.

> Fergoshsake, the two-rectangles "expand"
> icon is meaningless. (I mean this thing that's on every image:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png - I
> suppose changing it would take changing the skin.)

Swapping out the file would be best, yes.

Otherwise, any sysop could set up some JS to find div.magnify img tags
and rewrite the image to something else. "Something else" needs to be
15x11 px, though I suppose it could also be made larger if necessary.
(an ugly nasty waste of client computation. Then again, it could be
done that way for testing without causing wiki-war-3)