[WikiEN-l] Gated Communities - Notable or not?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jan 23 00:25:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 10:33 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you think about it, this is the same kind of problem faced by search
> engines. When you do a search for web pages they give you what we can call,
> for the sake of this argument, the 'most notable' web pages that contains
> the words you're looking for, where notability is related by how many web
> pages link to a page, and how many link to the pages that link to them, and
> so on.

By the way, this description, as stated, is completely incorrect.
http://www.wikipedia.org/ surely has a higher PageRank than
http://www.search.com/, and both "contain the word" "search", yet if I
put "search" into Google I get the latter.

If you're going to use the term "most notable", then search engines
provide the "most notable" result *for that particular search*, not
the "most notable" result containing those search terms.