[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Suggestion: Pronunciation on all names

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 18 18:15:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 05:47:44PM +0000, Andrew Gray wrote:
> You and I might differ on how "Beckhorn" is pronounced, but any third
> party would say that your interpretation is the one that ought to go
> after your name.

I would argue that the third party should use the pronunciation of my
name that is most common and well-regarded among members of his intended
audience. This is especially relevant when the name is originally in a
language different than the one being used to speak. Using the original,
foreign pronunciation could easily be perceived as an affectation.

 Carl