[WikiEN-l] Unsolicited testimonial from Magnus Linklater in The Times

Sam Blacketer sam.blacketer at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 00:12:52 UTC 2008

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/magnus_linklater/article3193083.ece

"I did a quick test on my own, looking up Nancy Mitford (I'm a fan) and
judging the results on time and accuracy. Wikipedia gave me four pages of
almost 100 per cent accurate information (I rang her niece, Emma Tennant,
who spotted one small error), together with 33 links to related characters
and a 16-line bibliography suggesting further reading. I got the whole lot
in ten seconds.

"The Britannica required a 20-minute trip to my nearest library. It gave me
350 words and a bibliography with one entry (Harold Acton's memoir). The
online version offered the chance of signing up to a 30-day free trial, but
still required my credit card details, replete with reassurances about
taking my privacy "very seriously" - always a worrying sign. The DNB
provided by far the best and fullest entry (but so it should). However, a
month's subscription costs £29.35, and a year will set you back £195 plus
VAT."

--
Sam Blacketer