[WikiEN-l] Rollback, and now here comes instruction creep

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 15 00:01:45 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 6:21 PM, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Nothing on Wikipedia comes without some sort of dispute and process :)
>
> That is untrue, and it would be a huge sign of failure if it were true.

See, this is a perfect example of culture clash.

Greg describes the old-guard view, the way things were when
Wikipedia was young and on its way from zero to one million
articles, the way things should (we wish, we wish) still be.

Alex, on the other hand, is pointing out the way things
apparently *are* in today's brave new Wikipedia.

Today's brave new Wikipedia, of course, is the one in which the
vast majority of editors -- and admins -- weren't around during
those halcyon old days and would probably be regarded by the old
guard as ignorant newbies at best, and renegade idiots at worst.
But whether we like it or not, they're running the asylum now,
except when they're reacting badly to the old guard cabal's
increasingly ham-handed attempts to reassert control.